Sunday 28 March 2010

Carl is a cunt


My car broke down last week. The rear diff 'went' and no I don't know what the hell that is, only that it controls the 4 wheel drive mechanism and turns the rear axle. Without it the car is basically useless and if I drive it the rear axle will seize up and the apocalypse will break out or something. Anyway it looks something like this:




Notice the lack of oil? That's because when it blew up and left bits all over the road in an embarrassing trail of destruction all of the oil fell out.
I have to replace the rear diff (see apocalypse comment above) and it is going to be 'really expensive' said the mechanic. We have used this particular garage before and they have usually been very good so I have no reason to doubt him. Whilst the car is up on the ramp he calls over all of the apprentices because (he tells them) he has only seen this happen once before, and they are never likely to see it happen again. Great. Now my misfortune is being used as a learning tool. They all stand around scratching their heads and the one thing they agree on is that they have never heard of,or seen this before.
The part will cost £2,500 + VAT, yes plus vat. While my wife cries outside he suggests that we get a used part from a breakers yard instead. The labour will cost £250.
Needless to say I phoned around and finally got the correct part from a breaker for £200. That's a big difference. Trouble is the garage now say they won't do the labour because it is not company policy to fit used parts. So what the hell do I do now? I have a broken car that I can't drive anywhere in case the rear axle seizes up and the apocalypse breaks out, and a spare part sitting in my hallway making the  house stink of dirty oil (see below)



Note the professional way it is packaged up.
Along comes Carl to the rescue. Well sort of. Carl is a friend of one of Sarah's friends. I have never met Carl,and neither has Sarah, although her friend obviously has and is very happy with the work Carl has done on his Land Rovers. Trouble is that Sarah's friend is a farmer and has shotguns, so of course he is happy with the work Carl does on his Land Rovers. I am sure he is also delighted with his plumber, plasterer, and the guy who laid the tarmac on his driveway. I however do not own a shotgun so am at the mercy of any workmen who do anything for me. Carl said (via text) that he would be happy to come to us, bring all the equipment he needed and spend a day doing the work for £100, which is absolutely brilliant, but for one thing...,.He didn't turn up. Then he made another appointment and didn't turn up for that, then another, and another....It is now almost two weeks on and we have missed four attempts. I now want to know what his full name is and exactly where he works so that I can go and 'discuss' his blatant rudeness with him face to face. Sarah's friend of course will now not tell me where he works or lives, knowing how angry I am, shotgun or not. So yes, Carl is in fact a cunt, and if you know a mechanic called Carl I suggest you tell him.